Relievet, another top provider of hemp-based supplements for pets, features a line of premium oils, chews and topicals for dogs & cats including the popular Zen Chews for dogs. They have CBD oils for pets of all sizes, ranging from 150mg to 1500mg of CBD per bottle for calming and mobility. FREE U.S. SHIPPING. Use code CBD15LIFE to save 15% on your order!
King Kanine comes highly recommended by owners who treat their pets with CBD. They offer oils, treats & topicals for small, medium and large dogs and pets. All oils come with a dosing chart & oral syringe to ensure the maximum amount of CBD per dose. Strengths range from 75 mg to 600 mg. Shipping is free on all orders over $100.
Anxious Pet is a pet-dedicated CBD oil provider. All of their products are veterinarian formulated, third party lab tested and handmade with quality ingredients. Products include Calming Kits for dogs, Relax & Roll Bars as well as Hip & Hop Chews for joint support. They also offer Allery/Immune benefits as well. Fast Free Shipping: Orders ship FREE next business day. Use code CBD10LIFE to get 10% off your order.
We mention Green Roads here because of their quality and being a favorite among pet owners. Green Roads CBD pet drops blend hemp-derived cannabinoid extracts and MCT oil to support calmness and well-being for your pet. They offer 3 sizes: Small Dogs & Cats, Medium Dogs & Large Dogs. Starts at just $19.99.
CBD Oil For Dogs FAQ - Questions & Answers:
How Is CBD Oil For Dogs & Cats Beneficial? What Can CBD Oil Do For Your Pet?
Here are the most common reasons why pet owners are excited about CBD oil for dogs and cats:
- Calms your pet & keeps them from being so anxious. It can help with stress, anxiety and hyperactivity. CBD oil targets the endocannabinoid system to help the body balance emotions. The endocannabinoid system is the same in all mammals. CBD hemp oil for dogs works to initiate chemical transmissions between receptors that help them feel calm in times of stress. Separation anxiety, general anxiety, phobias, fear of fireworks and thunder can be relieved with the correct dosage of CBD hemp oil.
- It relieves chronic pain and inflammation. If you’re dog is suffering from arthritis or some other condition causing inflammation and pain, you’ll be happy to know that CBD oil naturally helps reduce inflammation in all parts of the body. The same endocannabinoid receptors that work together to relieve anxiety also target areas in the body experiencing pain due to inflammation, damaged nerves and injury.
- Helps alleviate cancer symptoms. CBD and other substances found in hemp and cannabis have been found to have an anti-tumor effect. CBD has even been shown to stop cancer cells from growing and increased tumor cell death but don’t expect CBD oil to heal your dog from cancer. It can, however, help with nausea, increase appetite, reduce pain and stop seizures.
- It is not psychoactive. It will NOT get your dog high due to having no THC.
Benefits of CBD Oil For Dogs & Pets
Now that we’ve discussed some about how to choose a good quality oil for your dog, let’s discuss WHY you should even give your dog CBD oil.
Don’t forget, CBD works on a chemical messenger system in the body’s of dogs and pets called the endocannabinoid system.
Let’s take a look at some of the more common conditions where CBD can benefit dogs …
CBD Oil For Dogs With Arthritis
If your dog has pain, your vet might prescribe NSAIDs or anti-inflammatory pain meds.
But NSAIDs can cause deterioration in joints and soft tissues over time which can damage your dog’s liver.
Gabapentin is a common pain medication which can cause kidney damage. Additionally, it’s not that effective.
CBD is a natural anti-inflammatory that doesn’t carry the same risk of side effects as drugs. It works by binding to CB1 receptors in the brain. These receptors stimulate the immune system to reduce inflammation.
CBD also binds to CB2 receptors that are found in the nervous and immune systems. When this happens, the body may produce more cannabinoids naturally, and this helps reduce inflammation even more and reduce the pain associated with it. CB1 receptors also change the way the brain responds to pain.
In fact, researchers at Cornell University found that dogs taking CBD for arthritis showed an increase in activity and a decrease in pain.
Some of the common ways to use CBD as an anti-inflammatory in dogs include:
- Hip and elbow dysplasia
- Sprains and strains
- Torn ligaments (CCL)
- After surgery
CBD Oil For Dogs With Cancer
Half of adult dogs today will sadly get cancer. Cancer is a massive health challenge for anyone, including a pet.
As researchers are always looking for new ways to treat cancer, CBD has been extensively researched as a cancer-fighting substance.
For example, a study in mice showed that CBD slowed the growth of mammary cancer cells & another study in 2018 found that CBD increased survival time in mice with pancreatic cancer.
Researchers also found that CBD blocks a cannabinoid receptor called GPR55. This is important because GPR55 increased the growth rate of cancer cells in mice.
Other animal studies also show CBD oil has cancer fighting abilities and can slow the growth of tumors. Another study also shows cancer cells can become more sensitive to treatment with CBD … which means CBD can increase the effectiveness of conventional cancer treatments.
CBD kills cancer cells by blocking their ability to produce energy. It also stimulates the immune system to produce killer cells that cause death in cancer cells.
CBD oil can also help with the nausea associated with many cancer treatments. Another study showed a significant reduction in cancer-related pain.
CBD Oil For Dogs With Seizures And Epilepsy
It’s estimated that about 5% of dogs suffer from seizures. They can be terrifying for both dogs and their humans … and they can cause anxiety.
Most vets treat epilepsy and seizures with antiepileptic drugs, such as phenobarbital or potassium bromide. But these drugs are extremely harmful to your dog’s liver and other organs.
Even if the drugs don’t cause unmanageable side effects, they don’t always work …
So researchers at Colorado State University were excited when they studied CBD as a treatment for epilepsy in dogs. A whopping 89% of dogs that received the CBD had a reduction in seizures.
In human trials, CBD was found to work in patients with drug resistant epilepsy. In one study, 7 out of 8 patients saw a marked improvement within 4 to 5 months.
CBD can reduce the frequency and severity of seizures because of how it interacts with the endocannabinoid system.
It’s believed that seizures are caused by abnormal electric charges of the neurons in the nervous system … and CBD can bind to receptors in the brain that researchers speculate can improve the functioning of the nervous system.
CBD Oil For Dogs With Anxiety
Anxiety is often a reason dog owners turn to CBD. Anxiety takes different forms including:
- Noise phobia
- Separation anxiety
Certainly there an anti-anxiety drugs available. However, CBD is being studied for anxiety due to it not carrying dangerous side effects.
Most human users of CBD take it for pain, anxiety and depression. Over a third of these users report that CBD worked “very well by itself.”
CBD has even been used to manage anxiety and insomnia in children with post-traumatic stress disorder. Animal studies show its antidepressant effects aren’t just for humans.
CBD can work quickly if given directly in the mouth when your dog is stressed. It typically works within 5 to 20 minutes.
However, CBD appears to most beneficial for anxiety when given over a period of time. So if your dog is prone to stress, a daily dose might be best.
A 2012 study looked at stress in rats that were exposed to cats. The rats given repeated doses of CBD had less anxiety than those who were given a single dose.
More research is required to determine just how CBD relieves stress and anxiety, but it’s thought that helps regulate serotonin. Serotonin is a hormone that regulates mood, social behavior, digestion, sleep and appetite.
CBD Oil For Dogs In Pain
Probably the most promising research on CBD is that done on pain. From nerve pain to arthritis, it works without the harmful side effects of pain medication.
CBD binds to both CB1 and CB2 receptors in the brain and nervous system and this helps change the way your dog’s brain perceives pain.
Plus, CBD can help manage the other symptoms that accompany pain, such as sleeplessness and nausea.
CBD can also help manage acute pain from injuries.
CBD Oil For Allergies In Dogs
Allergies and skin conditions are difficult to treat when they arise.
The endocannabinoid system is also found in the skin, which is good news for dogs with allergies.
CBD can help relieve dry and itchy skin. It can also encourage the growth of new healthy skin cells.
CBD can be given internally for allergies, or externally for hot spots or cysts between digits.
Is There A Difference Between CBD Oil For Pets & Oils Used For Humans?
Many have taken an interested in CBD for their pet. However, confusion still arises as to what is best for our pets. Most often people take the approach that regular full-spectrum CBD oil used by people is OK for pets but is it?
The short answer is ‘no.’ Some human products contain ingredients and flavors not suitable for pets. Those with more than 0.01 THC should be avoided. “MLM groups” who sign up friends and family to market their products have figured they can just it’s good for pets too. But do they really know what they are selling?
Furthermore, when it comes to proper doses, there is even more confusion.
We often recommend pet owners to be careful of those who make medical claims. Also, don’t go by dosing information based on what others give their pets. There are many on social media posting general answers like, “I give my pup 2 drops in the morning.” But they never say if their dog is a 14-pound Pug or a 125-pound Doberman. They also don’t mention what mg of tincture they are using here. The specifics are important.
CBD Oil For Dogs Dosage:
Paraphrasing, one University study recommended that ‘if your pet has never used CBD, start with a week-long “load dose” and back down by half week two and beyond. This works, however, don’t be one of the many people who start too low, don’t see the effect they were hoping for and then quit too soon. No pet is the same. So you may need to adjust a little up or down — but stay within the general guidelines and you’ll do well.
If you follow a dosing (or serving size) recommendation based on your pet’s weight, you will be off to a good start. In general, there is a good formula which states for the first week, if your pet has never had CBD, use 0.7 mg per kg of weight, 2 times daily. Then from week 2 and on, use 0.5 mg per kg of weight, also twice daily. Some people find CBD’s effect dissipates after 4-5 hours and wonder what to do then. We recommend CBD treats during the day to give your pet a little added boost.
Is CBD Oil Safe For Dogs?
Generally, CBD is considered safe and side effects are infrequent. This is why so many owners are trying CBD for their dogs.
Most reported side effects are from an interaction of drugs and CBD. However, CBD doesn’t produce negative side effects like drugs.
Just make sure to be careful with when you choose a manufacturer so there are no problems with your dog’s CBD. Keep in mind:
1. CBD oils made with solvents can contain residue that is toxic.
2. A lot of CBD labels aren’t accurate. A 2017 study showed that as many as 1/3 of CBD products sold had less CBD in the bottle as stated on the label. Many had higher levels of THC as well.
Is CBD Legal?
Yes! Hemp-derived CBD is legal federally.
The 2018 Farm Bill made it hemp legal in the US. Before that, CBD was included with other drugs like marijuana under the Controlled Substances Act.
It is no longer a controlled substance as hemp-derived CBD is non-psychoactive and contains less than 0.3% THC.
What About Full Spectrum Claims?
There are many online who say if it isn’t “full spectrum” it’s no good. However, often…
- They don’t know about the manufacturing process of the product they’re recommending.
- They praise one extraction process over another other. Most often this has to do with which is best because it “uses no solvents.” In fact, all extraction processes involve solvents, but the good companies fully remove it, leaving a pure, high quality CBD oil for pets. A good extractor is able to pull a full profile of cannabinoids and terpenes from industrial hemp & separate them so they can build the specific profile (or spectrum) needed for a specific product.
When you buy CBD oil for your dog, you should check the label to see if it is full spectrum or broad spectrum. This means the oil contains not just CBD, but a range of other cannabinoids, like CBC, CBN, CBD, CBG and CBA. It will also contain terpenes and less than 0.3% THC. These substances all work together and help increase the effectiveness of the cannabinoids.
How Do I Find The Best CBD Oil For Dogs?
Due to the fact that the CBD industry isn’t well regulated, many poor quality products end up on the market.
So how do you find the best CBD oil for your dog?
- Look for organic broad or full spectrum hemp. This means it will include a good mix of several cannabinoids that work together for best benefits.
- Make sure your CBD oil was made with a reliable extraction method, like CO2. This means the oil was extracted without harmful solvents.
- Make sure what’s on the label is what’s in the bottle. The only way to know this is to purchase from a reputable company, like the ones listed here.
- Check the products certificate of analysis (COA). The COA will tell you exactly how much CBD is in the bottle. It will also let you know the product is free of pesticides and toxins. The COA should be done by a third party lab.
- It’s also a good idea to know from where your CBD comes from. Generally you want growers in the US who comply with local and federal standards.
Why Our Brands Are Superior Products:
In short, they do not compromise on quality. Their top priority is providing the best product for your furry friend as much as possible. They take pet wellness seriously and even their customer service will reflect that desire to provide the smoothest experience possible.
For example, each item of King Kanine’s collection goes through a rigorous manufacturing and quality-testing process. Their CBD is extracted from industrial hemp only cultivated in the United States in strict compliance with local and federal laws.
Their oils are manufactured in a GMP Certified, ISO-90001 Certified FDA Facility. Lastly, each of their products is tested by a third-party lab to ensure purity, potency, and overall quality. All items are certified organic and are free of pesticides and solvents.
How Long Does It Take To Work?
When CBD is taken orally, it can start working within 30 to 90 minutes. This is one of the benefits, it works fast!
If you are able to squirt the CBD oil right into your dog’s mouth, you it could take affect in as little as 5 to 20 minutes. More of the CBD is absorbed when given directly into the mouth, so you can use a smaller dose.
- All CBD should carry the FDA disclaimer which states: “CBD products have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not meant to diagnose, treat or cure any disease.”
- We do not favor terms like “therapeutic” or listing ingredients as “active and inactive.”
- Do not ignore serious conditions or your vet’s advice. Don’t stop seeing your vet. If your vet isn’t ready to embrace CBD, that’s fine because you are responsible for your pet’s overall well-being and need to be watchful with whatever you give your pet. And, you can also seek out a vet who more readily embraces CBD and other natural care for pets.